How to prove your civil partnership has irretrievably broken down


Ending a relationship is never easy, but with the right advice and a great support network around you, you can make some of the hardest times a less problematic affair. This taster guide is here to help you dissolve a civil partnership, but assumes you have access to a reputable legal professional.

How to dissolve a civil partnership

To dissolve a civil partnership, you must prove it has broken down irretrievably. This means you need to provide evidence that your relationship has in fact broken down beyond repair.

You could prove that:

  • Your civil partner has deserted you for more than two years – this is called desertion. You must prove that they left without your agreement and without a good reason or to end your relationship.
  • Your partner has behaved so badly that you can no longer bear to live with them. This includes physical or mental cruelty, verbal or physical abuse, being sexually unfaithful, or being irresponsible with money.
  • You have lived apart for month than five years. After this length of time, you can usually end a civil partnership, even if your civil partner disagrees.

Are you looking to separate without divorcing or dissolving your civil partnership? Find out more on the services we offer on separation here.

Share this post: Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on Google+